Where do we go from here?

 

I've recently returned to modelmaking after a break of a few years, mainly caused by my intolerance to materials and chemicals used in the process. I've been really enjoying the return to a hobby that has been my lifelong joy and obsession, for over fifty years. It's such a part of me that I've always identified as a modelmaker and artist...what else is there?

So it's rather depressing that just lately, I've seen that I'm getting bad alleregic reactions to PVA glues such as Resin W and the various Roket brands of modelling adhesives. The symptoms are like those of a very heavy cold. At least it's not depression, which is how styrene solvents and cement affect me.

My partner Petra keeps telling me I should move on to making things from Das clay. Yeah, that works to some extent. Maybe I have to go back to sticking things together with office glue and shellac, like when I was a kid.

Perhaps in the summer I can work with the window open. One thing's for sure, I'm not packing it all in again. And yes, I've tried Limonene, all sorts of other glues and strange concoctions that well meaning folk have suggested. Until I find a way round this, my posts may be just more of the models of old, or whatever new train I've bought. I can still paint, though- acrylics don't go for me (yet) so I can weather my trains and make them suitably disreputable.

We'll see what happens!

Comments