Antipodean thoughts

 Many years ago, I had a couple of modelmaking clients in Australia. One gentleman, (let's call him Mr Smith), loaded me with a great many projects, too many to complete in my lifetime anyway. To be fair, he was a nice bloke and I had many pleasant dealings with him. He liked the work of E. L. Moore, that great structural scene builder of the seventies... if you haven't heard of E. L., here's a link to J. D. Lowe's fabulous blog which has a very interesting collection of info about him, as well as a host of other truly fascinating stuff.

Anyway, I built a lot of structures for our Mr Smith, most of which I didn't record sadly. Well, it was the seventies and I didn't have a very good camera. But I managed to get a few shots of the "Eight Ball Loco Works", which was also featured in one of the first issues of the Continental Modeller.

It was a lot of fun, of course. I made it out of birch veneer and card, very much in the spirit of E.L..


Although, shock, horror, it appears that even though E.L made the model, I got the idea from an article by Bob Hayden in the Railroad Model Craftsman, here...


Thank you to J.D. Lowe for the above image.There's a strange, convoluted story about the 8 Ball Loco works which I can't be bothered to untangle, although J.D. has a good go at it on his blog. Suffice to say that when I saw the model I wanted to get the tools out and make one myself! I think that's the thing about E.L. Moore, he was an inspirational modeller, working from unassuming materials. No 3D printing, laser cut wood or 3D drawing programs for him, just, (almost) a cornflake box and some balsa wood. An american John Ahern in some ways, but much more prolific.

After all these years, I'm still grateful to Mr Smith for introducing me to E.L.'s work. At the time, I built a couple of other HO scale models, based on Mo's Molasses works and a small roadside garage. 


There were also some models that just caught Mr Smith's eye, like the locomen's bothy from Radstock, below...


This last one has probably disintegrated by now, since it was covered in Pyruma clay... I later found out the clay should be heated to a high level in order not to lose integrity, something Allan Downes knew all about-  he told me afterwards with great relish. I did tell the client when I found out, but at that time nothing had happened to the model.

My last image is of an oil depot that I made for Mr Smith.


This was featured in "Your Model Railway" and I drew a diagram for it...


 The oil depot used quite a few resin castings by Malvern Models which I made the masters for, so I reckon that's not cheating!

Incidentally, J.D. Lowe has written and extensively researched a book on E. L. Moore which can be downloaded here- it's fascinating!


Comments

  1. Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad to see you're blogging again. I'm looking forward to new posts.
    If anyone is looking for the link to the 8-Ball Loco works story, here's the link where I try to untangle the complicated web of facts: https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2020/09/summarizing-eight-ball-loco-works-dilly.html
    I'm also very happy to say a couple of years ago I was able to buy E. L. Moore's original Dilly Manufacturing that's shown here: https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2015/10/e-l-moores-dilly-manufacturing-co.html along with a few other buildings from ELM's Turn Backward O Time article from 1967: https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2023/01/a-dilly-of-diorama.html
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it's good to hear from you! Thank you also for the links, much appreciated.You have an admirable resource for the works of E.L Moore, and your epub book is superb! How nice that you were able to purchase that Dilly Mfg structure, it must give you a great deal of pleasure. I've been enjoying your blog again, it's so nice to come back to things, and I hope to be blogging regularly now. Here's wishing you and yours all the very best for 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant to see you back on the web again. And as inspirational as always!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment